Jan 27, 2009

My Grandpa Carter

Grandpa holding baby Ellie
I am lucky enough to have all four of my grandparents still living. All of our family (aunts, uncles and cousins) get together each Sunday night (on both sides) to spend time together. I plan on doing a post on each one, but I will start with my Grandpa Carter.

Grandpa Carter gave me the nickname "Jamoi" and my family still uses it to this day. Growing up, my Grandpa was very active fishing, hunting, trapping, and doing taxidermy. It was always a boy thing, and being a girl, I wasnt allowed to go. Grandpa was always watching out for me, so he would take me on my own fishing trips (Cory came once). I remember Grandpa telling me if I kissed the worms I would catch not only more fish, but bigger fish...so, yes, I kissed the worms (maybe thats why I'm not married LOL) and yes, I caught the most fish and the biggest fish! The memories I have fishing with Grandpa I will never forget. He was never worried about fishing himself, he just wanted to make sure I was having a good experience and making memories at the same time. He also introduced me to Grits at this time with a little butter, salt and pepper...YUM!

I love this pic of Addie riding on Grandpa's scooter with him. Its blurry cause it was taken on my cell phone, but notice how she is cuddled up to him....precious!

Grandpa used to call me his little Indian because I was so tan during the summer. Also, how most people go to Mom if Dad says no or vice versa, well, I would go to Grandpa. I always felt loved unconditionally by Grandpa. Gpa and Gma even had a shirt made for me that says, Thats it, I'm calling Grandpa. And I did! He usually went along with my parents, but he made me feel on top of the world in the process.

Gpa wasnt only this way with me, he is this way with every grandchild and great grandchild. Him and Grandma are truly examples of unconditional love! Whenever one of us does something good, Grandpa will always say, "Did you tell them who your Grandpa is?" And we were all proud to do so. I am truly proud to say Jim Carter is my Grandfather, and I wouldnt have it any other way!

Even though Gpa is not in the best of health right now, he makes every effort to come to important events for his family members. Being the patriarch of the family, he has raised a family who are all active in the church and have strong testimonies of the gospel. All of his Children and Grandchildren who have been married have been sealed in the temple. Not many families can say that. I couldnt ask for a better example of Christlike living and Christlike love (although he does swear every once in a while LOL). His love and concern for each family member is evident in everything he says and does. He also loves my grandma so much. On Christmas day my Gma opened a new outfit, and Gpa said "That will just make you look prettier than you already are". Also for Christmas this last year, Gma and Gpa had shirts made for all of us that say "I am one of Grandma and Grandpa Carters Greatest Blessings" and we know we are because of the love we feel!
Grandma and Grandpa Carters "Greatest Blessings" 2008
Grandpa, I love you so much, and I am so greatful for your example and love. I hope one day to carry on your example, and I am trying my hardest to do so. Thank you for loving me, and all of us, for who we are! We love you!

3 comments:

  1. You are a great writer!! I love it, that was so neat!! :) I am trying to find your number right now, I want you to come to dinner and a movie tonight with, Beckie, Kahra, and me!!! So if you get this call me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet. I totally remember your Grandpa. You have such an awesome family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jam that is so cute! It made me almost cry and miss grandpa so much! hope your doing good! Love you

    ReplyDelete