Ok, so some of you may know I am a recruiter and work in HR. I see the downturn of the economy in a more real way than most people do. We all see it on the news, but unless it affects us personally, it is just news. For me, it is so real that I have received many phone calls the likes of "Jami, if you cant find me work today my children won't eat tonight." It is that real. I have had quite a few people asking me the last few days on how I feel about the job situation in the United States. So, here you go...
I'm gonna be brutally honest, it is going to get much worse before it gets better. Sorry for you Obama lovers, but a lot of jobs are going to be lost because of him winning the election. I was watching this election closely the last year because i do Government Recruiting. I work with different aspects of the military to help those in the different branches of the military and their spouses find work. I also recruit for Government Contractors up on base. I dont know if you realized but Obama plans to do away with certain programs which employee hundreds of civilian and/or ex-military jobs at HAFB. Get prepared for the worst in this area.
I have been looking for any information I can regarding the economic situation. I found a website today called bad-economy-jobs.blogspot.com. I HAVE NOT researched anything on this site, so I am not promoting the site. But, there is a list of good tips all those worried about the job market to look at (my comments are in italics). IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE OF THIS POST, READ THIS:
1. Network, network, network. Expand your circle of friends by joining civic and professional organizations, charities, church groups...anyplace you might find people who work in your industry that may be in a position to help you should the worst happen and you need to find a job. The more people you know in your profession (or a related profession), the better your prospects when looking for a new job. Your friends and acquaintances could not only tell you about any unadvertised openings, but also put in a good word for you, depending upon how well they know you. (it is all about who you know whether they are in the same profession or not. DO NOT burn bridges when it comes to past employers or co-workers)
2. Be prepared. Even if you think your job is safe, now is a good time to dust off and update that resume. Make sure you have good references available if requested. Keep an eye out for any possible job opportunities you could take advantage of if something happens to your company. Shore up your emergency fund, and try to have 3-6 months of living expenses socked away in case you lose your job and need the safety net. (I have been trying to update my resume on a monthly basis. That way, if I need my resume for any reason, I always have an up to date current copy. Also, I changed this just a bit. DO NOT put references on your resume. You always want to leave something for the potential employer to ask for. Put references available on request)
3. Be the "model" employee. Make yourself indispensable at your current job. Learn how to do things that may be a bit outside your job description, volunteer for extra projects and don't be a complainer about your current work load. When employers trim staff, they will target unhappy employees and those doing the minimum as the first to go. You might still get the axe, but at least you'll get a good reference out of the deal. (The problem with this is when people feel indispensable they get too complacent. Everyone can be replaced. We all need to be prepared and work as hard as possible. DO NOT get too comfortable where you are!)
4. Don't overlook freelance work. If you don't find another full-time job right away, look at doing something on a part-time basis. Consider consulting for another company (or the one you just left, if it's available). Jobs aren't just outsourced to overseas locations. Many companies look to farm out some of their work to freelancers and consultants right here in the U.S. on an "as-needed" basis. (I run across a lot of people not willing to do part time because they are worried about what it will do to their unemployment. DO NOT rely on unemployment. If you are getting unemployment and you take something for far less money or part time, your unemployment will make up for it. It looks much better on a resume if you are willing to work rather than sitting around waiting for the "perfect" position. No matter your degree or skills, you cannot afford to be picky in this market)
5. Brush up on your skill set. Make yourself more employable by expanding your skill set. If you work in an office environment you should know how to use all of the programs in the Microsoft Office suite of products including Powerpoint, Excel and Word. There are free tutorials available online. If you have fallen behind on continuing your education in your profession, now is the time to take some continuing education courses and obtain the skills you need in this competitive job environment. (Now is the time to take advantage of tuition reimbursement through your current employer if available. This will accomplish two things. First of all you are improving your skills, secondly employers are more likely to keep those they have invested time and money into. There are also programs through State Department of Workforce Services (at least in Utah))
6. Have an "exit strategy". What would you do if you lost your job today? A lot of people don't like to think about it, but they should have a "Plan B" in case the worst happens. Would you know where to look for another job? Do you know people in your industry that can give you good leads on other work? Do you have an idea for a business you would like to start up on your own? The time to come up with other options available to you is when you have a job, not when you are desperately seeking a new job. If you do find yourself out of work, having a plan of action will put you ahead of the game. Make finding a job your new "full time job" and be very good at interviewing (practice makes perfect), have a stellar resume and identify other jobs you can do other than the one you currently have. You might also consider moving to another area that does have jobs available and taking a little less pay to get your foot in the door at a new company. When it comes to replacing a job and surviving in a rough economy, no option should be off the table. (the motto in our office is never be desperate in your job or your love life, we are single if you cant tell! If you become desperate, you may not make the best decisions for you and your family at the time. Make sure you are prepared and always keep your eyes open. Remember, some of the best things happen when we arent looking for them!)
Most importantly, STAY POSITIVE and remember Everything Happens for a Reason!
Hutson Jack
12 years ago






No comments:
Post a Comment